Dr. Higgins practices at our Cox Road, Gastonia location.
Cosmetic Patient Coordinator
Gastonia, NC 28054 (directions)
Dr. Higgins is a board certified dermatologist. She received her medical degree form Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, NC. She completed a residency in internal medicine at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte and a dermatology residency at the prestigious University of Virginia. Dr Higgins is a Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology. American Board of Dermatology Education
- May 2004 | Doctor of Medicine, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC
- May 2000 | Bachelor of Science, Biochemistry, summa cum laude, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
- University of Virginia Dermatology July, 2005 – Anticipated completion June, 2008 Chief Resident beginning July, 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha, elected as a third year medical student, 2003
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, 1999
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 1999
- Golden Chain Senior Honorary, 1999
- Caldwell Scholar, 1996 – 2000
- Charlottesville Free Clinic Volunteer, August 2005 – Present
- Visiting Medical Student Coordinator, May 2007 – Present
- Phase V Representative, Class of 2004, 2003 – 2004
- Membership Coordinator, American Medical Assoc., 2001–2002
- Pediatric Interest Group President, 2001 – 2002
- Peds Pal, 2001
Community Service Activities
- Students Teaching Early Prevention
- Students Teaching AIDS to Students
- Wake Forest University Health Fair
- Chancellor’s Aide, 1998 – 2000
- Teaching Assistant Coordinator, Genetics, 1999 – 2000
- Judicial Board Member, 1998 – 1999
- Study Abroad in Oxford, England, Summer 1998
- American Academy of Dermatology
- Women’s Dermatologic Society
- Pearce DJ, Higgins KB, Stealey KH, Balkrishnan R, Crane MM, Camacho F, Fleischer AB Jr, Feldman SR. Adverse events from systemic therapies for psoriasis are common in clinical practice. J Dermatolog Treat. 2006;17 (5):288-93.
- Pearce DJ, Morrison AE, Higgins KB, Crane MM, Balkrishnan R, Fleischer AB Jr, Feldman SR. The comorbid state of psoriasis patients in a university dermatology practice. J Dermatolog Treat. 2005;16(5-6):319-23.
- Jordan AY, Parks L, Chen SC, Higgins K, Fleischer AB, Feldman SR. Does the teratogenicity of isotretinoin outweigh its benefits? J Dermatolog Treat. 2005;16(4):190-2.
- Sinal SH, Higgins KB, McLean TW, Rouster-Stevens K, Manuel J. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Use in Pediatric Patients with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Submitted for review to Journal of Clinical Rheumatology.
- Currently working on manuscripts regarding use of terbinafine to treat lichen planus; cystic fibrosis presenting as an acrodermatitis enteropathica-like eruption; and breast telangiectasias in women
- Student Intern, Genecare Medical Genetics Center, Chapel Hill, NC, 1999 – 2000; performed karyotyping on amniotic fluid and prepared microscope slides for chromosomal analysis