Dr. Tonya McLeod stands tall in striving for excellence. Growing up in rural North Carolina, she was taught very early that education was the key to success. Dr. McLeod was awarded a scholarship to study pre-med at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, NC obtaining a Bachelor of Science, followed by a scholarship to study medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. During her course of study in medicine Dr. McLeod also obtained a Master’s of Public Health from the UNC Chapel Hill renowned Rollins School of Public Health, graduating in five years with a MD, MPH. She subsequently completed her specialty training in Dermatology at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia while simultaneously completing a MBA. at Emory University’s top ranking Goizueta Business School. Dr. McLeod further honed her expertise in dermatology and pursued additional fellowship training in laser and cosmetic dermatology in Boston, Massachusetts under the tutelage of world renowned Harvard trained dermatologists Dr. Kenneth Arndt and Dr. Jeffrey Dover.
Her expertise includes general dermatology, laser treatments and cosmetic treatments for all skin types.
Dr. McLeod joined Piedmont Plastic Surgery and Dermatology in 2006 and subsequently became a partner in 2008 and currently takes care of her patients in our Charlotte office. Dr. McLeod is board certified by the American Board of Dermatology and is licensed to practice medicine in North Carolina, Georgia, Massachusetts and New York, holding memberships in the American Academy of Dermatology, the American Society of Dermatologic Surgeons, the National Medical Association, the Women’s Dermatology Society, the American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery, the Charlotte Medical Society and the Mecklenburg County Medical Society. In addition to her career responsibilities, Dr. McLeod is devoted to her family and finds time to volunteer regularly as a mentor in the community.
- 2004-2006 | MBA, Emory University
- 1998-1999 | MPH, University of North Carolina
- 1996-2001 | M.D., University of North Carolina
- 1992-1996 | B.S., North Carolina State University
- 2005-2006 | Laser and Cosmetic Dermatology Fellowship, SkinCare Physicians of Chestnut Hill
- 2002-2005 | Dermatology Residency, Emory University
- 2001-2002 | Internal Medicine Internship, Carolinas Medical Center
- American Board of Dermatology
- American Board of Laser Medicine & Surgery
- North Carolina
- New York
- American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
- American Academy of Dermatology
- National Medical Association
- American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
- American Medical Association
- Mecklenburg Medical Society
- Women’s Dermatologic Society
- Novant Health Matthews Medical Center