JOB TITLE: Director of Nursing
EDUCATION: High School Diploma, Graduate of an Accredited Registered Nursing Program, successful completion of NCLEX. Advanced degree highly preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of five years of work experience as RN with supervision and operating room experience.
JOB RELATIONS: Supervises the Clinical Supervisors. Reports directly to the Practice Administrator.
- Develops and implements standards of nursing practice and nursing protocols for the department. Periodically reviews and updates departmental nursing protocols and materials to ensure they remain current.
- Provides nursing expertise and participates in strategic planning for the department.
- Responsible for articulating policies and procedures of the practice to the clinical supervisors and ensuring compliance with such and performing re-education for management and staff as needed.
- Confirms and maintains consistency in protocol and policy among all offices. Responsible for annual review of clinical policies and manuals to ensure consistency and accurate reflection of current practices. Works closely with OR committee chair and DOO to develop and implement new policies and procedures.
- Conducts regular meetings with clinical supervisors in each office and other staff as needed. Makes certain each meeting is run according to agenda and minutes are distributed. Attends a clinical staff meeting at each office with location’s Clinical Supervisor on a quarterly basis.
- Attends monthly Supervisor / Provider meeting and bi-monthly Supervisor meetings.
- Participates on the QA/OR and Performance Improvement committees.
- Ensures clinical supervisors have adequate scheduling of all clinical staff for each provider. Analyzes the utilization of nursing staff in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness of nursing staff allocations and deployments.
- Establishes and maintains on-going training programs for nursing staff.
- Establishes and reviews department-wide nursing performance measures and outcomes. Provides direction and consultation to supervisors to improve nursing performance and outcomes; reviews medical aspects of nursing staff performance and may recommend disciplinary actions.
- Develops long range plans for nursing needs and utilization.
- Assists and monitors the clinical supervisors so that they maintain their department budget in accordance with practice guidelines.
- Supervises the chart audits performed each month by the clinical managers. Performs regular independent audit of charts to determine any areas of concern with documentation and then addresses those with the appropriate supervisors and staff.
- Confirms the clinical supervisors are performing their essential duties including:
- Proper scheduling of staff among providers in all offices.
- Collecting and processing medical supply orders weekly or as needed. Maintaining supply room and establish reorder policies for supplies. Make sure supplies are promptly unpacked and placed in appropriate places.
- Ensuring principles of LEAN management are in place and followed in all designated areas of the practice and suggest additional efficiency opportunities.
- Carrying out clinical personnel disciplinary functions when appropriate.
- Maintaining medical equipment in the most beneficial method for longer life.
- Responding to clinical staff issues and maintaining professional demeanor and actions.
- Coordinate, complete and evaluate training for new clinical staff.
- Monitoring pathology records and completion of process closely for accurate and complete patient information on laboratory requisition forms, specimen and blood containers, and log book. Confirms log books are reviewed weekly by clinical supervisors.
- Ensures patient telephone and mail questions and requests from patients regarding their medical care are handled promptly and appropriately.
- Provide weekly feedback to Director of Operations and Practice Administrator regarding clinical operations of practice.
- Facilitates annual and new hire staff education and licensing requirements related to all regulatory organizations in all offices. Confirms required license and certification renewals for clinical staff if applicable.
- Ensures compliance in all offices with OSHA standard guidelines. Distributes all applicable materials to supervisors and staff.
- Ensures compliance in all surgery offices with AAAASF regulations and requirements. Maintains appropriate records as required and facilitates annual inspections in each office with the on site supervisor.
- Remains in compliance in all offices with Clinic Laboratory Improvement Act Standards.
- Serves as the organization HIPAA Compliance Officer. Provides proper HIPAA training to all new hires and provides annual education and testing.
- Maintains all required clinical staff licensing requirements to confirm all staff are current.
- Organizes on site training for any required courses such as annual ACLS.
- Schedules off site training if appropriate and approved.
- Provides direct patient care and patient surgery recovery if needed for any reason.
- Maintains RN licensure and clinical skills.
- Occasional travel to all practice locations required.
Note: This description is intended to indicate the task and level of work difficulty that will be required of the position title. It is not intended to limit the supervisor to assign, modify or direct the staff members under his or hers supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration of described duties shall not be held in exclusion.
Department & Location: Clinic/New Hope Rd. Gastonia
Reports to: Nursing Supervisor / The Physician has total responsibility /accountability for the role of surgical technician including training, validation of competencies, delegation, supervision and the evaluation.
Assists in operations, under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel. May help set up operating room, prepare and transport patients for surgery, adjust lights and equipment, pass instruments and other supplies to surgeons and surgeon’s assistants, hold retractors, cut sutures, and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments.
- Responsible for performing second assist functions for surgical intervention, preparing supplies and equipment
- Prepare specimens for lab and requesting exams as required
- Transport patients to and from surgery suite and individual rooms
- Performs in-room surgical scrub duties
- Maintain sterilizing equipment, assisting with O/R set-up, etc.
- Provide tray set-ups and designated extra instruments for all surgical procedures
- Prepare, wrap and sterilize instruments, supplies and equipment as appropriate
- Effectively work with surgeon and clinical staff during procedures
- Prepare operating area safely and in an organized manner
- Assist RN with instrument counts
- Ensure compliance with AAAASF regulations in surgical suite
- Ensure compliance with OSHA and HIPAA regulations
- Assists in preparation of surgical procedures by anticipating needs of physician and patient
- Demonstrates working knowledge of care and handling specimens, surgical instruments, supplies and equipment
- Selects the appropriate supplies and equipment in a cost effective manner
Performs other tasks as deemed necessary by Physician, Nursing Supervisor and /or Practice Administrator.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Certified from a Surgical Technician program.
CMA or MA
Location: 1 Position Charlotte and 1 Position Hickory, NC
- Escort patients from waiting room to the exam / surgical room in a timely and courteous manner.
- Assist Physician with various procedures and examinations in a surgical environment. Telephones in prescriptions as directed by Physicians.
- Provides telephone calls to patients regarding test results. Provides follow-up information to patients as directed by Physician. Documents all conversations and prescriptions called in on a daily basis.
- Updates patient charts with current medical information.
- Ensures patient exam rooms are fully stocked, organized and clean at all times.
- Organizes patient flow through the assigned area.
- Collects patient history, problems, exam preparation, specimens and lab work.
- Completes patient forms as necessary.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Prepare specimens for lab and requesting exams as required.
- Performs in-room surgical scrub duties.
- Provide tray set-ups and designated extra instruments for all surgical procedures.
- Prepare, wrap and sterilize instruments, supplies and equipment as appropriate.
- Effectively work with surgeon and clinical staff during procedures.
- Ensure compliance with OSHA and HIPAA regulations.
- Assists in preparation of surgical procedures by anticipating needs of physician and patient.
This is a full-time position and one year of medical office experience is preferred, but will consider other combinations of education and work experience. Candidates must possess good written and verbal communication skills; must do detailed and accurate work; must always present a professional image. This position requires regular attendance and working as part of a team.