JOB TITLE: Histology Technician I
LOCATION: Shelby, NC Office
CERTIFICATION: Certified or eligible
- Collect and document receipt of specimens for the laboratory.
- Accession and set up specimens for grossing as outlined in the procedure manual.
- Conforms to all grossing procedures when assigned the task of grossing. This is to include any special instructions or special procedures such as Alopecia or physician requests.
- Document and return rejected specimens.
- Knowledgeable in the use of all laboratory equipment, according to the manual instruction.
- Able to embed specimen ensuring proper orientation, and maintain proper QC standard throughout the daily routine.
- Proficient in tissue sectioning at 4 microns, adhering to the pathologists’ specifications to produce high quality stained slides for diagnosis.
- Knowledgeable in the routine and special staining of slides. Examines slides under the microscope to ascertain satisfactory result.
- Able to operate a cryostat to produce quality slides by the Mohs technique according to the physician’s specifications.
- Coverslip and label slides accurately.
- Ensures all blocks and slides are correctly labeled and match all case information. Distributes cases according to the designated work flow.
- Able to troubleshoot and determines when prescribed techniques or equipment should be modified to meet required quality standards.
- Responsible for preparation of solutions and maintenance of equipment. Maintains quality records. Keeps accurate counts of work performed.
- Disposes of chemicals and hazardous waste according to appropriate procedure
- Maintain a neat and orderly Laboratory
- Assist laboratory manager with QC, QA and all CLIA compliance while notifying manager of any issues.
- May involve sitting at microtome for extended periods of time and occasional lifting of small loads.
- Exposure to chemicals and fumes.
- Travel will be required at times in between sites
1. Reports to the Laboratory Manager. This position does not supervise other others.
- HT (ASCP) or HTL (ASCP), or eligible.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, preferable
1. Salary commensurate with experience.
- Knowledge of routine and specialized techniques in Histopathology
- Knowledge of frozen techniques, prefer prior knowledge in Mohs sectioning
- Knowledge of Standard Precautions, Chemical Hygiene Plan, and all information contained in Procedure Manuals.
- Must be able to communicate, and read/write English.
- Must have manual dexterity and motor coordination.
- Attention to detail.
- Must be precise when performing technical tasks.
- Effective interpersonal skills, both in person and on the telephone.
- Able to work independently without constant supervision at times
- Utilizes proper time management to complete tasks
This description is intended to indicate the task and level of work difficulty that will be required of the position title. It is not intended to limit the supervisor to assign, modify or direct the staff members under his or hers supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration of described duties shall not be held in exclusion. (Location Shelby Office)
Job Title CMA or MA
Location: Charlotte and Shelby, NC
1. Escort patients from waiting room to the exam / surgical room in a timely and courteous manner.
2. Assist Physician with various procedures and examinations in a surgical environment. Telephones in prescriptions as directed by Physicians.
3. Provides telephone calls to patients regarding test results. Provides follow-up information to patients as directed by Physician. Documents all conversations and prescriptions called in on a daily basis.
4. Updates patient charts with current medical information.
5. Ensures patient exam rooms are fully stocked, organized and clean at all times.
6. Organizes patient flow through the assigned area.
7. Collects patient history, problems, exam preparation, specimens and lab work.
8. Completes patient forms as necessary.
9. Maintains patient confidentiality.
10. Prepare specimens for lab and requesting exams as required.
11. Performs in-room surgical scrub duties.
12. Provide tray set-ups and designated extra instruments for all surgical procedures.
13. Prepare, wrap and sterilize instruments, supplies and equipment as appropriate.
14. Effectively work with surgeon and clinical staff during procedures.
15. Ensure compliance with OSHA and HIPAA regulations.
16. Assists in preparation of surgical procedures by anticipating needs of physician and patient.
This is a full-time position and one year of medical office experience is preferred, but will consider other combinations of education and work experience. Candidates must possess good written and verbal communication skills; must do detailed and accurate work; must always present a professional image. This position requires regular attendance and working as part of a team.