Dr. Patrick McElgunn, MD FRCPC MBA is a board-certified dermatologist in the U.S. and in Canada. He joined Piedmont Plastic Surgery & Dermatology in 2006 and became a partner in 2007. Previously Dr. McElgunn had a private practice in the Toronto area for many years. Subsequently he accepted a position at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions where he was the Founding Director of the Johns Hopkins Dermatology and Cosmetic Center. This collaborative effort with dermatology, plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, ophthalmology and interventional radiology was one of the most successful launches at Johns Hopkins. Dr. McElgunn was an integral member of the dermatology department where he taught dermatology residents surgical skills and cosmetic procedures. He was voted Teacher of the Year in 2004. Other past professional positions include President of the Maryland Dermatological Society, Founding President of the Ontario Dermatology Association, President of the Canadian Society for Dermatologic Surgery and Vice President of the Canadian Dermatology Association.
Dr. McElgunn’s area of expertise and special interest is cosmetic dermatology and laser surgery. Treating patients with lasers since the early 1980’s, he has extensive experience in laser surgery. He has taught laser surgery and has been an examiner of prospective laser surgeons for the American Board of Laser Surgery. With equally extensive experience in cosmetic fillers, Dr. McElgunn is recognized as a premier injector of Botox®, Dysport®, Restylane®, Juvederm®, Voluma®, and other fillers. He instructs other dermatologists and plastic surgeons in filler injection techniques.
Dr. McElgunn is a Silver Elite participating physician on RealSelf.com and answers patients questions regarding cosmetic and dermatologic conditions.
Dr. McElgunn has a vast experience in general dermatology and sees patients of all ages for all dermatology concerns. He also lectures groups of physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners on dermatologic therapy. He practices in our Charlotte/Blakeney office and has privileges at Carolina Medical Center.
- 2004 – Attending Teacher of the Year – Johns Hopkins Department of Dermatology
- 2000 – President’s Cup Award – Canadian Dermatology Association
- 1998 – Award of Appreciation for outstanding service to the Canadian Dermatology Association
- 1997 – Practitioner of the Year, University of Toronto, Division of Dermatology
- Rabe, Jessica, Mamelak AJ, McElgunn PJS, Morison WL, Sauder DN. Photoaging: mechanisms and repair (CME Review), Volume 55, Issue 1, Pages 1-19, July 2006
- Kim, HS, Nwankwo, IJ, Hong, KK, McElgunn, PS, Lower Energy Endovenous Laser Ablation of the Great Saphenous Vein with 980 nm Diode Laser in Continuous Mode, Cardiovasc and Interventional Radiol 2006; 9 No 1:64-69
- Wu, Jessie, Mamelak, A, Nussbaum, R, , McElgunn, PS, Botulinum toxin A in the Treatment of Chromhidrosis, Dermatol Surg 2005; 31:8 Part 1: 963-965
- McElgunn, P Not just a Cosmetic Problem: Best Practices in the Prevention and Treatment of Onychomycosis Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Advanced Studies in Medicine 2005;5 (6D); S609- S613
- McElgunn, PS, Advances in the Treatment of Facial Wrinkles: New Injection Techniques with Fillers, CD-ROM and Webconferences October 26, 2004 and November 2004
- McElgunn, P. Does Physician Reimbursement Affect Patient Care? A Canadian Perspective. JCMS 2000;4(1):13
- Mitsuda John, S, McElgunn, P, Ellis CN. Nodular Late Syphilis. J Am Acad Dermatol 1983;9:269-272
- McElgunn, P. Dermatologic Manifestations of Hepatitis B Virus Infection. J Am Acad Dermatol 1983;8:539-548