Please note that Piedmont Plastic Surgery & Dermatology job descriptions are not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Click here to submit your resume to the X-Ray Dr. Office
REPORTS TO: Laboratory Manager. This position does not supervise other others.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: HT (ASCP) or HTL (ASCP) certified, Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, preferable, Previous lab experience, Must meet the current CLIA guidelines for grossing and high complexity testing
- Collect and document receipt of specimens for the laboratory.
- Accession and set up specimens for grossing as outlined in the procedure manual.
- Conforms to all grossing procedures when assigned the task of grossing. This is to include any special instructions or special procedures such as Alopecia or physician requests.
- Document and return rejected specimens.
- Knowledgeable in the use of all laboratory equipment, according to the manual instruction.
- Able to embed specimen ensuring proper orientation, and maintain proper QC standard throughout the daily routine.
- Proficient in tissue sectioning at 4 microns, adhering to the pathologists’ specifications to produce high quality stained slides for diagnosis.
- Knowledgeable in the routine and special staining of slides. Examines slides under the microscope to ascertain satisfactory result.
- Able to operate a cryostat to produce quality slides by the Mohs technique according to the physician’s specifications.
- Coverslip and label slides accurately.
- Ensures all blocks and slides are correctly labeled and match all case information. Distributes cases according to the designated work flow.
- Able to troubleshoot and determines when prescribed techniques or equipment should be modified to meet required quality standards.
- Responsible for preparation of solutions and maintenance of equipment. Maintains quality records. Keeps accurate counts of work performed.
- Disposes of chemicals and hazardous waste according to appropriate procedure
- Maintain a neat and orderly Laboratory
- Assist laboratory manager with QC, QA and all CLIA compliance while notifying manager of any issues.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: May involve sitting at microtome for extended periods of time and occasional lifting of small loads.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Exposure to chemicals and fumes, Travel will be required at times in between sites
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS: Knowledge of routine and specialized techniques in Histopathology, Knowledge of frozen techniques, prefer prior knowledge in Mohs sectioning, Knowledge of Standard Precautions, Chemical Hygiene Plan, and all information contained in Procedure Manuals., Must be able to communicate, and read/write English, Must have manual dexterity and motor coordination. Attention to detail and must be precise when performing technical tasks, Effective interpersonal skills, both in person and on the telephone, Able to work independently without constant supervision at times, Utilizes proper time management to complete tasks
ADDITIONAL TASKS: May require assisting or covering the Mohs dermatology laboratory as assigned by the lab manager/supervisor and when available to help will all tasks excluding grossing techniques or high complexity testing unless the training and education has been satisfied for those tasks. Please refer to the Mohs Technician job description for these duties if necessary.
Patient Check-In/Check-Out (2 positions available)
Click here to submit your resume to the Shelby Office.
Click here to submit your resume to the Lake Norman/Cornelius Office. (training for this position will be at one of our Charlotte area offices)
REPORTS TO: Administrative Supervisor
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED required. Completion of courses in medical terminology, business, math, English, typing, and computer classes highly desirable.
EXPERIENCE: Highly prefer one year of office experience in a medical office. Will consider other combinations of work experience and settings.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Works in a fast-paced, well-lit, comfort controlled medical office. High traffic area. Work may be stressful. Interaction with others may be constant and interruptive. Occasional irregular hours. Frequent exposure to communicable disease, toxic substances, medical preparations, and other conditions common to a clinic environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting, data entry, and viewing computer screens for long periods of time; also stooping, bending, and stretching. Occasional lifting. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to type 40 wpm, operate a key board, calculator, telephone, copier, fax, and other office equipment as necessary. Vision should be correctable and hearing within a range discernible to telephone/paging contacts.
PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS: Knowledge of business office procedures. Possess good written and verbal communication skills. Ability to greet patients and answer the telephone in a professional manner. Must read, understand, and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to sort and file materials correctly by alphabetic or numeric systems. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, patients, employees, and public. Always presents a professional image. Ability to do detailed and accurate work. Utilize time management skills. Recognize, evaluate, solve problems, and correct errors. Maintain productivity and work independently.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Reception of patients, responsible for greeting patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous, and helpful manner.
- Provides patient a registration form if needed OR
- Verifies patient completed online forms are accurate
- Advises patient to fill-in form completely.
- Offers to assist with paperwork if necessary.
- Checks form for completion when patient returns to window.
- Assures appropriate demographic and financial information are collected to include: social security number, employer, birth date, responsible party for payment, insurance name, address, and phone numbers, insured’s name, birth date, insurance policy and group number(s), other
- Obtains appropriate signatures on forms.
- Obtains a scanned, legible copy of insurance card.
- Accurately enters data into computer.
- Attaches charge sheet to chart.
- Collects any monies owed identified by insurance verification or in computer system.
- Places chart with charge sheet in proper physician’s box for medical assistant.
- Updates patient’s demographic and insurance information if necessary
- Informs patients of any financial responsibility.
- Responsible for referring “bad debt patients” to billing prior to physician contact.
- Answers telephones, screens calls, takes messages, and provides information.
- Identify for the outgoing receptionist patient charts as “no shows”, cancellations”, or “rescheduled”.
- Enters into computer new and updated information for laser patients, hospital consults, and combines duplicate charts.
- Must attend staff meetings and in-service programs.
- Maintains a clean, safe, and prepared work area.
- Turns on/off reception lobby lights, straightens lobby and secures front door as appropriate.
- Turns on/off computers and printers as appropriate.
- Remains in compliance with OSHA/Bloodborne Pathogen guidelines.
- Remains in compliance with OSHA/Hazardous Communication Standard guidelines.
- Trains new employees for incoming duties as requested.
- Keeps kitchen and restrooms clean and safe.
- Keeps management timely informed.
- Keeps up-dated on all pertinent information affecting job and patient care.
- Performs other duties as requested.
SURGICAL TECHNICIAN (2 positions available)
Click here to submit your resume to the Shelby Office.
Click here to submit your resume to the Gastonia/Cox Office.
REPORTS TO: Clinical Supervisor
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Certified from a surgical technician program.
JOB SUMMARY: Assists in operations, under the supervision of surgeons, registered nurses, or other surgical personnel. May help set up operating room, prepare and transport patients for surgery, adjust lights and equipment, pass instruments and other supplies to surgeons and surgeon’s assistants, hold retractors, cut sutures, and help count sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments.
- Responsible for performing second assist functions for surgical intervention, preparing supplies and equipment
- Prepare specimens for lab and requesting exams as required
- Transport patients to and from surgery suite and individual rooms
- Performs in-room surgical scrub duties
- Maintain sterilizing equipment, assisting with O/R set-up, etc.
- Provide tray set-ups and designated extra instruments for all surgical procedures
- Prepare, wrap and sterilize instruments, supplies and equipment as appropriate
- Effectively work with surgeon and clinical staff during procedures
- Prepare operating area safely and in an organized manner
- Assist RN with instrument counts
- Ensure compliance with AAAASF regulations in surgical suite
- Ensure compliance with OSHA and HIPAA regulations
- Assists in preparation of surgical procedures by anticipating needs of physician and patient
- Demonstrates working knowledge of care and handling specimens, surgical instruments, supplies and equipment
- Selects the appropriate supplies and equipment in a cost effective manner
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Performs other tasks as deemed necessary by Physician, Nursing Supervisor and/or Practice Administrator.
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (2 full-time positions available)
Click here to submit your resume to the Charlotte/Blakeney Office.
Click here to submit your resume to the Charlotte/Cotswold Office.
REPORTS TO: Clinical Supervisor
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Certification or license as a healthcare professional, Medical Assistant, Nurse Aide, or Surgical Technician, preferred. Maintaining professional certification is an expectation of the job and a requirement to work. If not already certified, obtaining and maintaining credentials may be a condition of hire and would then become a subsequent job requirement.
JOB SUMMARY: Work directly under the supervision of the Physician and Clinical Supervisor. Assist physician in examinations and procedures, in addition to functioning as a medical scribe in the electronic medical record. Reinforces and provides verbal and written patient education, as needed, in direct reflection of Physician orders. Responsible for maintaining clean, well equipped exam and or procedure rooms.
- Escort patients from waiting room to the exam/procedure room in a timely and courteous manner, then confirms patient identity, obtains vital signs, and verifies and updates medical history.
- Assist Physician with various procedures and examinations.
- Maintain exam procedure rooms and inventory in orderly fashion according to 5S principles. Routine stocking of supplies according to par levels, proper dating and initialing of all opened supplies mandatory.
- Cleans, sterilizes, and stocks all instruments according to accepted office guidelines, OSHA, and AAAASF regulations.
- Verifies and documents all prescriptions as directed by Physician.
- Provide test results and follow-up instructions to patients as directed by Physician.
- Performs assigned patient care, under the supervising provider, which may include: dressing changes, bandaging suture removals, and the administration of local anesthesia injections.
- Acts as a medical scribe in the electronic medical records systems to accurately record: detailed medical history, vital signs, review of systems, chief complaints, exams, diagnoses and plans, along with prescriptions, pathologies, procedures, and provider orders. Active listening and verification of accurate entry of all medical information required. Providing accurate history to provider prior to every visit, as well as assisting in the exam room while scribing required.
- Collaborates with team to complete prior authorization paperwork, lab and pathology result entry, as well as return all phone calls, with proper documentation, in a timely manner.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times according to HIPAA guidelines.
- Engages in active participation of documenting all required components of meaningful use. Will implement all changing documentation needs for meaningful use in a timely manner.
- Completes specimen collection and double-verification according to pathology collection policy protocol.
- Ensures compliance with OSHA, HIPAA, and AAAASF regulations.
- Cross-training to competently work in all aspects of the clinic, including the opposite specialty, is expected and required.
- Travel to work at any of the other practice locations is required at times.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES: Performs other tasks as deemed necessary by Physician/Physician Assistant and the Clinical Supervisor/Site Manager.